I understand there are reasons people need to bottle feed but I do believe that even if your babe is not at the breast it could still benefit from being in arms and ideally skin on skin for feeding. Infant feeding is much more than calorie intake. What are your thoughts on this?
5 problems I see with this gadget:
1. There would ideally be as much bonding, skin on skin time as possible with babies and this takes away feeding time as bonding time. I know that may not be possible all the time and babies needs can be inconvenient, I have three and am a working and homeschooling mom, I understand inconvenience. Regular use, when not necessary (disability, lack of resources), is depriving the child of possible bonding time.
Yes, you may have bonded with your kids but there is always more bonding, with more time. How can you judge if you are bonded as well or the same as another? You can’t, you can just increase opportunities for bonding as much as possible. Skin on skin has been shown, scientifically, to be better for babies. We have known for decades that babies who are not held do not thrive but they may survive.
2. Children should never be in a car seat unless they have to be. We have an epidemic of flat heads (Plagiocephaly) due to children being in car seats and having their head against a hard surface for so much time. The skull was not meant to be compressed so often, it is meant to be up in the world (in moms arms) so the brain and skull can expand freely.
3. As a chiropractor I have particular issue with the car seat thing because it is horrible for the baby’s spine. Seated in the most stressful position on the spine and is not the same as a cradle position.
4. This should not be used in a car because the bottle would be a projectile that could seriously injure or kill the child. If you wouldn’t throw it full force at your babies face, it should not be loose in the car. (I am trained to install and educate on car seat safety.)
5. If this was used in a car it is improper use of the car seat. THE HANDLE SHOULD NEVER BE UP in a moving vehicle. A handle in the upright position interferes with the cradle motion the car seat would go through if there was an accident. Also, the handle could smash against the car’s seat and break sending shards of plastic into your baby’s face.
I understand that there are things that can make parenting more convenient and there are people with special needs, but are we making parenting so convenient that the child gets left out of the equation?